School Counseling » Dual Enrollment

Dual Enrollment

Dual Enrollment Program

What is Dual Enrollment?

The Dual Enrollment Program at BPHS provides eligible high school students with the opportunity to take college courses while still in high school. Students wishing to take advantage of the Dual Enrollment Program must have the approval of the high school counselors, and their parents. The number of courses, as well as the type of courses taken will be determined through a joint approval process. Students may not enroll in more than 12 credits per school year. In some cases, students may be required to take a placement test before being approved to take certain courses at the college. 

What are the requirements to participate in the Dual Enrollment Program?

Students interested in participating in the Dual Enrollment Program must meet all eligibility requirements established by the college or university. For example,  to enroll in CCAC courses, students must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5. Students may be required to take a course pre-requisite and must complete all necessary forms as required by the college.

Where are the classes? When are they offered?

Classes may be conducted at the college, or online. Classes are offered at different times. Some classes meet during the school day, others may meet evenings or Saturdays or during the summer.

Who are the post secondary partners?

The partners are Community College of Allegheny County, Clarion University, California University of Pennsylvania and Penn State Greater Allegheny. Upon discussion, students may seek out another university for a particular class as long as the University is willing to permit their entrance.

Who pays for the courses?

Dual Enrollment is paid by the parents.  Most colleges and universities offer a lower fee to their students since they are not a full time student at their university. 

What is the student and parent responsibility to the Dual Enrollment Program?

Students who enroll in a Dual Enrollment class are concurrently students of the college. As such, students must follow the "drop and add" schedule for the college. Failure to comply with the college schedule may result in fees assessed to the student/parent.  The student is responsible for their own transportation to the college or university.
For more information on the Dual Enrollment, please call the Counseling Office at 412-854-8597 or contact their counselor directly. You may also visit the Wikipedia website for more information.
High school students who participate in Dual Enrollment receive college credit for courses taken while still attending high school. Most times courses taken at the college can also be used to fulfill high school graduation requirements. To participate in Dual Enrollment, a high school student must:
  1. Meet eligibility requirements as set forth by the college or university
  2. Possess a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher (may need a higher GPA depending upon the college or university)
  3. Meet with your high school counselor to confirm that you meet the GPA requirement for admission.
  4. Discuss what classes you will be taking with your counselor.
  5. BPHS will award 1 credit for a class that is not offered at BPHS and is worth 3 credits at the college or university.
  6. Fill out the college or university’s specific paperwork. Include course(s) to be taken.
  7. Obtain a high school transcript through the records department for the college or university.
  8. The student is responsible for making sure that BPHS gets a copy of the final grade of the college or university course complete so appropriate credit is given on the BPHS transcript.
  9. The student is to meet with his/her BPHS Counselor to have all paperwork signed.
  10. The BPHS School Counselor will add the Dual Enrolment class to the student's schedule.
  11. Take completed paperwork to the specific college for final signatures.